The qualification for Probation Officers is the Professional Qualification in Probation (PQiP). This is a work-based learning programme which comprises an integrated programme of applied academic learning and practice skills development, leading to a qualification at Honours Degree Level 6. The skills components are assessed at work and lead to the award of a Level 5 vocational qualification in Probation Practice. During the qualification, learners gain the skills and knowledge to:
- assess the risk of offenders, including those who present a high risk of serious harm to others;
- protect the public and manage risk of harm;
- create an enabling environment conducive to change;
- demonstrate professional ethics and values;
- rehabilitate, resettle offenders and promote desistance from offending;
- prepare reports;
- achieve the above with specific groups including violent and sexual offenders.