Applying to trainee probation officer programme:

Our trainee probation officer (PQiP) programme is back!

Applications have opened in:

  • East of England
  • Kent, Surrey, Sussex
  • London
  • South Central

Applications are not currently open in any other region, however you can register your interest for future PQiP campaigns here:

Are you eligible?

To be eligible for the PQiP Programme you must be able to provide a certificate for your qualification, this should be an award certificate for a completed Level 5 qualification or a level 5 exit award where a full degree has not been completed. This must comprise of at least 120 credits (of which 120 must be attained at level 5), which is transferable to evidence a second-year study at university or equivalent. If your certificate does not state the level, or the number of credits attained at Level 5, please check with the education provider who issued your certificate and provide written confirmation to support that you hold a valid qualification to present at the assessment centre. If you are not able to provide confirmation and or it is later found that your qualification does not meet the requirements, your place could be withdrawn. Find out more about level 5 qualifications.

If you have previously started a placement on any PQiP programmes, and you are re- applying within 12 months of leaving the programme, your application needs to be agreed via the regional Probation Learning Lead.

The application process

The recruitment process is usually around 7 months.

We are aware that there are websites in operation offering assistance to candidates with PQiP assessments – please note that these are not official websites, nor are they endorsed by HMPPS. Plagiarised applications will not be accepted.

Reasonable Adjustments

Working for the Civil Service

We abide by the Civil Service Code’s standards of behaviour.

Our recruitment processes are driven by the principle of a fair and open competition leading to appointments based on merit (as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s Recruitment Principles).

If you have any questions about the Civil Service Commission or our Recruitment Principles, we recommend contacting the Civil Service Commission directly.

If you feel we haven’t upheld those principles throughout your application and want to make a complaint, first contact the Ministry of Justice. If their response is unsatisfactory, contact the Civil Service Commission

Contact Us


Telephone: 0345 241 5358

For more information regarding other roles, please visit the Prison & Probation Jobs website.

You can also register on the Civil Service Jobs website.